The Grocery is the private home and art studio of Demi Raven and Janet Galore on North Beacon Hill. The studio is a creative space where we host occasional pop-up art exhibitions, workshops, lectures, music performances, and other creative activities. Our street-facing windows are the home of the walk up gallery (WUG), which is free and open 24×7.
The building has deep roots in the community, born as a corner grocery store that served the neighborhood from 1929 through the late 1990s. We seek to support and incubate creative endeavors that highlight the voices of and enrich the local community.
Join our mailing list by clicking on this link:
Read a profile of The Grocery Studios in the New York Times.
The building was built in 1929, owned by Sam and Mary Ulovich, who ran a grocery store there until 1943. In 1955, the store was listed as Three Thousand and One Grocery. Masaru Nomura purchased the building in November of 1956, and from 1961 through 1965, the building was known as Fred’s Grocery. The building has also served as a restaurant supply, and an outreach ministry from 1998-2005. The building is listed in the City of Seattle historic sites.
We acknowledge that we live and gather on the unceded lands of the Coast Salish Peoples, specifically the Duwamish (Dkhw Duw’Absh). We honor the land we occupy and resist the erasure of Indigenous past, present and future.